Holding On To Hope 3-22-24

Sherri Dishion

For now, everything has been rescheduled. Again for the 4th time! Now set for the trip Saturday (March 30th) to travel to Cap Haitien up north, then a flight on Easter Sunday south to Port-au-Prince, with an American Airlines flight to Miami set for April 3rd, though we are not holding out much hope that those will happen.

Port-au-Prince's airport is still closed for the foreseeable future. Rumor in Haiti is that they plan to bulldoze homes around the airport to pave the way for a defensible entry to the airport, which could take who knows how long. But we keep scheduling travel, because having that date is a picture of hope for those in Haiti. Something to hold onto. To wait for.  To dream it might actually happen.

A local airline in Cap Haitien will start flights again on March 25th to Miami 3 times a week (level of unrest permitting), but the price of those has risen to $990, with another $250 to get from Miami to Boise!!! (I don't even want to do the math for what that totals for all 7 people!) Even if we could come up with that kind of money, isn't it ridiculous to spend it on airline tickets? OR, is it ridiculous to NOT spend it as they continue to languish? Are we determining what a life is worth? But think of how far that much money would go toward setting up their life here. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Too many questions, no perfect answers. So everyone just continues to do the best they can and trust. And we wait for the next piece of the puzzle.

Haitian news here and here